Senator Hatch is the first leading veteran conservative in the United States Senate to recognize that same-sex marriage will happen nationwide. My own congressman, a moderately conservative Republican, last week announced that he supports same-sex marriage.
"Life is too short to have the force of government stand in the way of two adults whose pursuit of happiness includes marriage," Congressman Charlie Dent told the Washington Post on May 28.
"In future generations the label same-sex marriage will be abandoned, to be replaced simply by marriage," he said. He predicted that in 20 years, people will wonder "what all the fuss was about."
A small but growing number of Republicans in Congress have backed marriage equality:
- Senator Rob Portman, of Ohio
- Senator Mark Kirk, of Illinois
- Senator Lisa Murkowski, of Alaska
- Representative Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, whose district runs from Miami to Homestead, Florida
- Representative Richard Hanna, whose district runs from Lake Ontario to Binghamton, New York
My congressman, Charlie Dent, also has endorsed the Employment Nondiscrimination Act and immigration rights for LGBT individuals.